Onondaga County Bar Association (OCBA) Lawyer
Referral Service, your call will be answered by a
Referral Specialist who will connect you with an
attorney who is familiar with your type of legal
issue. The attorney will provide a telephone
consultation and further advise how the attorney will
charge for his/her services. Our lawyers are licensed
and members in good standing with the OCBA. LRS staff
is available between 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 PM, Monday through
Friday, except for holidays.
Call (315) 471-2690
WHEN DO YOU NEED A LAWYER?
Timely legal advice can resolve problems or prevent problems from occurring. For example, a lawyer can assist when starting a business or signing a contract that will have a major financial impact. Generally, you will need a lawyer when being sued or charged with a crime.
Consider hiring a lawyer:
- Before you sign a contract with a major financial impact on you
- When starting a business, corporation, partnership, or limited liability company (LLC)
- Before you buy or sell real estate
- If you are involved in an accident resulting in injury to one or more persons or damage to property
- When you need to have a will or trust drafted or plan your estate
- If you are involved in a divorce, domestic relations issue, or an adoption
- If you are arrested and charged with a crime
- If you have a lawsuit filed against you or you wish to file a lawsuit against someone else
HOW ARE LAWYERS PAID?
There are several types of fee arrangements. The fee arrangement will depend on the type of case, the amount of research, or court time involved, and the length of time it will likely take to resolve the matter. The Rules of Professional Conduct in New York State generally require a lawyer who is retained by a new client to provide in writing to the client the basis or rate of the fee and the scope of the matter to be undertaken. Here are some of the most common fee arrangements: