WHEN: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 | TIME: Noon to 1:30 p.m. | LOCATION: CNY Philanthropy Center, 2nd Floor Ballroom, 431 E. Fayette Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 | MCLE: 1.5 (0.5 Diversity, Inclusion, and Elimination of Bias, 1.0 Skills) | COST: FREE if you agree to volunteer for a Transgender Name Change case, Otherwise: $35 Member, $45 Non-Member, $15 Paralegal. Under NYS rules this CLE has been APPROVED for both Newly Admitted and Experienced Attorneys. A copy of the OCBA Tuition Waiver may be reviewed here.
This training prepares you to assist transgender individuals with obtaining name and gender marker changes as a volunteer for the Volunteer Lawyers Project of Onondaga County, Inc.
Covered Topics Include:
- Cultural Competency and Sensitivity in working with Transgender Clients
- A look at NY Civil Rights Law Article 6, Sec. 60 et. Seq.
- Gender Marker Change Process
- Updating Birth Certificates in NYS, NYC, and other states
- Name Change of Minors — Notice, Best Interest
- PLUS: Other Common Legal Issues Transgender Clients face and How to Screen for Those Issues
- Access to Healthcare
- Discrimination in Public Accommodation
- Discrimination in Employment
- Complications with Family Law